Friday, December 13, 2013

Aft Bunk Extension

A very clear sign that this boat was built in an Asian location is the length of the aft cabin bunks!

Perhaps that is a bit harsh as the builders probably only built to the plan which is American, but somewhere along the way someone is responsible for building a 5 foot 6 inch bunk!

Who is only 5 foot 6 inches tall these days?

Anyway, part of the pre-purchase survey was to ensure we could comfortably sleep on board for extended periods. Even prior to the actual inspection, I requested the actual bunk length and whether or not there was room in the lazerette to extend them.

So the time came to get stuck in and extend them.

First off I drilled a few pilot holes in the aft bulk head.




I then rough cut the hole with the jigsaw, this was then cleaned up with a flush cut router bit.


Then I got to play with the machines in the wood shop to create the bunk extension boxes out of marine ply.


Finally they were fitted in place, all be it only dry fitted at this point so that we could use the boat for the rest of the summer and still allow me good access to the Laz' for the refit I am intending to perform this winter.


One job does however lead to another - I have to now move the water tank deck fillers as they are located directly above the new extensions. If I leave them where they are, I will not be able to access the underside of them ever again once the bunk extensions are glued in. If there is one thing I hate on boats, it is people who block access to systems!
But moving them will be for another post!

No comments: